Our top five job-hunting tips to help you secure your next position
- Stay motivated – your job hunt may leave you feeling disheartened and frustrated, but you’ll land the perfect role eventually. Learn from your mistakes, always follow up an application with an email or call, ask for feedback wherever possible and keep looking forward.
- Network – there’s some truth in the saying ‘it’s who you know, not what you know’ when it comes to finding any job. Use social media to your advantage and visit careers fairs. Never be afraid to reach out – managers and CEOs were once in your position.
- Target your job application – tailor your application to the individual job specifications and values of each company. A personal cover letter showing research and passion goes a long way – a general, vague covering letter is grounds for a hiring manager to disregard your application. Make sure your CV is clear, concise and professional looking. Check your spellings and grammar before you send it off!
- Sign up for job alerts – fully utilise this feature of job search websites to save you time and introduce you to opportunities you may not have previously considered. The more detail you give as to what job you’re looking for, the more likely you are to receive alerts for vacancies which excite and motivate you.
- Volunteer or apply for temporary work– this enhances your CV, teaches you transferable skills and says to an employer that you’re proactive and willing to get stuck into new challenges.